Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 10

                                                                                                                 Image: Gerd Altmann
Today's happiness tip is limit your choices. I do like to have choices, but like plenty of other people, I find having too many choices is overwhelming. I actually find a limited number of choices when it comes to what to wear, picking what to have for tea and which activities to be involved in makes me happier than when I have too many choices.


This tip is linked to those of the previous two days,

I am not extreme when it comes to limiting the number of items of clothing I own. But I have found it easier to decide what to wear now I have fewer choices and the things I own do get worn more. That contributes to my general happiness and I don't feel guilty that lots of items aren't being used.

I was surprised when I first realised too much choice, just like having too any things, doesn't make me happier. For example I love knowing I can borrow items from any library in the state and often browse online and put a hold on multiple items.

However, when a number become available at the same time I can feel somewhat stressed. I know I won't read them all. Yes, I can extend the loan for an extra month unless another library member has put a hold on the item. But I feel guilty I am holding onto those items and if I return them unread I also feel guilty.
              Which book should I read first?               Image:Marie Vonow

Too much information wears me out! It is so hard to make a decision when there is too much choice. Research has found people are more likely not to make a decision at all when they are overwhelmed for choice than when they have limited options.

It may be that having fewer choices or deliberately limiting your options to two things to choose from will make you happier because you feel less pressured and you can make a decision more quickly. Now, should I have takeaway chicken and chips or fish and chips for tea? (Or I could have a chicken burger, a beef burger, veggie burger, chicken and chips, yiros, seafood pack, the list goes on and that is just from the one shop.)
Fish and chips it is!                Image: Jennifer Simpson from Pixabay

Comments

  1. This is an excellent thing to think further about! I feel the idea of moderation, and thinking about actual needs over mere wants, is an important aspect of this. One day perhaps you and I will catch up at your closest cafe and discuss these thoughts further ... In a moderate and thoughtful way, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Carolyn. I would love to catch up with the express purpose of discussing this topic in more depth!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27