Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 2

 
Image:Marie Vonow
Life can be serious. There are things that are no laughing matter so I am not suggesting one would be happier by making a joke out of everything. Sometimes one needs to be serious. There are also times one needs to think a situation through carefully and give it full attention. However, there are other times when approaching life in a more light hearted way is going to make you happier so today's tip is Don't take life too seriously, don't take yourself too seriously.

Worrying about bad things that could happen
It's easy to worry about all the traumatic stuff that could possibly happen, especially if you are a news junkie. We hear about all sorts of catastrophes, often in great detail and it's likely the news is accompanied by visual images. 

Some people just have a tendency to worry about things.They may also have a vivid imagination and picture all types of scenarios. 

Annoying stuff
In an average day annoying stuff happens. You get delayed by roadworks, you miss the train, the ATM isn't working when you needed some cash, the shop has sold out of an item you needed or you lose a button off a favourite item of clothing and you don't have a spare one. Yes, these events are annoying, especially if they all happen on the same day. Getting worked up doesn't help the situation and in fact may make things worse. Really, these things are the 'small stuff' and most of us have heard the advice, 'Don't sweat the small stuff'.

Sometimes it can help you see the funny side of a situation if you imagine it as a scene in a sit com.

I hate being late
Being on time is good manners and helps life run more smoothly. I absolutely hate being late and can worry about all the things that could cause a delay resulting in me being late for an appointment or event. Yes, I think it is wise to prepare in advance so a last minute phone call doesn't mean I am late before I even leave the house. Once I have organised myself so I have a sensible amount of spare time up my sleeve I try not to think of things that could go wrong.

Will the world end?
I also ask myself what would happen if I was late in spite of being well prepared.  I may feel embarrassed and need to apologise for being late. Perhaps I will miss out on a seat and have to stand. Would the world end? Of course not.

However, the person with whom I am having an appointment may be running late and it may not matter at all. The person due to have an appointment after me may be early and be seen before me and I may end up with their appointment time. Whatever happens it won't be the end of the world.

Quotes about not taking life too seriously
  • American writer Douglas Pagels says, 'Nothing wastes more energy than worrying. The longer one carries a problem, the heavier it becomes. Don't take life too seriously. Live a life full of serenity, not of regrets.'
  • American actor Will Rogers says, 'Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.'
  • 'Don't take life too seriously. Sometimes you just have to laugh at your problems, knowing it's not the end of everything.' www.LiveLifeHappy.com

    Things not going to plan may not matter. Especially if you tend to be a perfectionist it can feel like it does matter when in truth it doesn't. With some things other people don't even notice.

Comments

  1. Wis words here, Marie, I'm going to check out the first tip, and keep an eye on the rest of them, for all of March!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27