Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 1

                                                                                                                Image:Marie Vonow

For the month of March I have decided to post one happiness tip each day. A blogger friend from my writing group posted a fresh poetry prompt every day for the month of February and found it increased the number of readers. I am curious to see if posting more frequently will do the same for me.

Some of my posts will be very short with one or more links to other things I have published online.

Definition of happiness
According to Wikipedia, 'The term happiness is used in the context of mental or emotional states, including positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. It is also used in the context of life satisfaction, subjective well-being, eudaimonia, flourishing and well-being.'

I had to look up the meaning of eudaimonia (also spelt eudaemonia or eudemonia) and found it is a Greek word meaning happiness or welfare or alternatively "human flourishing or prosperity" and "blessedness".

Should we chase after happiness?
There are many different ideas about what makes a person happy or increases their level of happiness. Some people think one shouldn't pursue happiness. There are reasons for believing some dissatisfaction with life can act as motivation. 

Perhaps there is a difference between doing something in an attempt to feel more contentment (one aspect of happiness) and doing something hoping to experience intense joy/excitement, a real high. I can't see a problem with wanting to find ways to increase well being or blessedness.

Whole books have been written about different aspects of happiness and many studies have been carried out. There are so many ideas on what will lead to greater happiness and if in fact anything one does will achieve this. I think one can do things which will result in feeling happier, but within limits.

My blogging plan for March
This month I will post 31 tips some people believe can either make you happier or help maintain the level of happiness you already have. None of these tips will help everyone as we are all individuals and all react differently.

Someone who has gone through a traumatic event may need professional help, not just a walk by the beach or to practice mindfulness. A person with Depression or another mental health issue or experiencing strong physical pain may likewise need to consult an appropriate professional.

So, my first tip is -
Do what works for you.
The masses of information and ideas about how one should or could be leading one's life can be overwhelming. There is much conflicting advice, often accompanied by research on every topic under the sun.

Don't consider yourself a failure
It's worth trying things out but if something doesn't work for you, don't feel you have to keep doing it. Don't consider yourself a failure just because something has been recommended by another person or because it's the current trend but doesn't bring you the desired result.

Yes, sometimes it's worth persisting with a particular thing, perhaps a healthy eating plan or increasing the amount of exercise you get. There are other times an idea that helps another person isn't right for you. For example Courtney Carver claims she found more joy in her life when she reduced her wardrobe to 33 items. She adopted a minimalist lifestyle in 2006 (or thereabouts). Courtney has published plenty of information about how she turned her life around, became a minimalist and is happier as a result. http://simpleselfimprovement.blogspot.com/2019/08/how-much-do-you-need-right-now-and.html

I currently have more than 33 items in my wardrobe, but fewer than I had some years ago. I have found decluttering helpful to me. However, I don't consider myself a minimalist, I simply want less clutter. Who knows how I will feel ten years down the track.
   How many items of clothing do I want?                Image:OpenClipart-Vector from Pixabay

In regard to any of the happiness tips I blog about, hopefully some will work for you, don't worry about the others. Many of the tips you will have come across before but I hope there will be something that's new to you or a twist on something you have heard about before. I'd appreciate any relevant comments.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this great idea, Marie, I love the idea of looking at ways to find happiness. Of course we all have it already, don't we, we just keep it inside sometimes, and hide from it. Thinking about ways to be happier, who could ever say that is a bad idea? Not me, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27