How much do you need right now? And a brief update on the shopping ban.

Street art at Kilburn Station in South Australia                     Image:Marie Vonow

It seems a common tendency to want more. More furniture, more clothes, more food, more holidays, just more of everything. It may hark back to times when things were scarce so people stockpiled during times of plenty and used it up when hard times came. Perhaps it's just in the human DNA or perhaps it's because of advertising, I don't know. There is also a tendency to want better, to upgrade your stuff, and if not your stuff, then your experiences. For some people these days it isn't all about the stuff, it's about experiences but perhaps not just any old experience, it has to be flashy.

Consumerism
Consumerism encourages people to buy more, more, and upgrade what they already have. There is plenty of pressure to earn more, spend more and if you haven't got the money, then put it on credit. Some people may not consider an alternative approach to life.

Social media
Many people are aware of the influence of social media. Seeing the highlights of other people's lives can make the person sitting on the couch in their daggy pjs lust after similar experiences or better. 

Advertising
Advertising tells us we deserve something big, new and sparkly. It says we should want to make our friends and neighbours jealous.

But some people are choosing to simplify
However, some people are choosing to slow down. They aim to simplify their lives and are feeling happier for that decision.

What works for one person at a particular time, won't necessarily work for others. Sometimes it takes a major life event to make an individual decide they want to live their life differently. Or perhaps the decision comes slowly as a person feels there has to be a better way. Sometimes reading a book or watching something gives the individual the push to make some changes.

Courtney Carver has written a book, Soulful Simplicity. How living with less can lead to so much more. Being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis made Courtney decide to simplify her life. This included decluttering and doing a lot less shopping. It makes an interesting read and I picked up some useful ideas.

An interesting read                                                   Image:Marie Vonow

However, I don't think I will follow Courtney and reduce my clothing (including clothes, jewellery, accessories and shoes) to a mere 33 items. It's true I do own far fewer items than I did in the past and I don't miss what I have donated. Now and then I still look at my clothes and realise I am not using a particular item and decide to part with it. Even with that in mind I don't think I will reduce my wardrobe to that extent. (Notice I have said 'I don't think I will,' rather than 'never in a million years' just in case I change my mind at some point!)

Courtney called her 'personal challenge to end closet chaos' Project 333. She started it in 2010 and attracted followers and media interest. From this challenge Courtney says she discovered she needed much less than she thought she needed to be happy. She also found people didn't care what she wore. Having a limited wardrobe resulted in her using less mental energy deciding what to wear.

Having fewer clothing items does reduce stress in my life, it's so much easier to find what I want. It's easier to coordinate my outfits and strangely, it is making it easier for me to resist buying extra clothes while I am doing my shopping ban challenge. 

Talking of my shopping ban, I did buy four pairs of loose top cotton socks the other day. They have a double layer on the soles too. I chose to do this (even though I have enough socks) because they were recommended as better for my feet than the cheap socks I usually wear.

The amount of clothing an individual feels he/she needs depends on lifestyle, job, age and outlook on life. I don't think there is a magic number, it's whatever suits right now.

The same goes for how much to have of other categories of things, it's whatever feels right at the moment. 

P.S. I did feel strongly tempted to indulge in some retail therapy recently when I was feeling 'down'. Many will know the feeling of wanting to go to a nice shop and buy something in an attempt to lift the spirits. Instead of shopping I arranged to get together with a friend later in the week so I had something to look forward to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Sometimes I Don't Want To Be Mindful

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22