Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 4

                                                                                                     Image:Marie Vonow


Research has found what many people know from their own experience, contact with Nature increases happiness. So, my happiness tip for day 4 is, spend more time in a natural environment. You don't have to go on a holiday to the beach, mountains, river or any other natural environment to get a boost of happiness. Time spent walking a tree lined street, pottering around in your garden or sitting in a park will increase your happiness. In fact, even looking at photos art, or videos of Nature will have a positive effect.

Research was done on 10,000 people in Britain over a 17 year period. It was found the more trees and greener the area a person lived in the happier they were. Studies have also shown time spent in Nature can be beneficial to people suffering Depression.

Tree lined streets increase the happiness of residents     Image:Marie Vonow

I love spending time outdoors. I am fortunate to have a lovely garden with lots of trees. Even though I live on a main road, the garden blocks out some of the noise and lots of birds spend time in the trees and bushes. We have even had visits from an echidna, how cool is that!

Walks by a river always make me feel happy. The fresh air, plants, birds and the occasional sighting of an animal lift my spirits. I have written about my connection to 'the river' here http://selfavenue.com/love-of-the-river/

Camping gives people a chance to slow down and take time to enjoy Nature. These days even people who aren't keen on the back to basics approach of sleeping in a tent can go glamping and still get some of the benefits of being surrounded by Nature.

For more information, check out http://selfavenue.com/why-nature-makes-us-happy/

Comments

  1. The idea of Glamping is very attractive to me, but the reality is that I have lots of Nature around my place, over forty trees and bushes and lots of birds. There are some animal visitors, and while I like to see lizards around the place, I wish they'd stay away from where our dog Missy, can see them. She takes her 'hunter' role far too seriously, and damage happens, both to the reptile's and to Missy, at times ...

    Thanks for this terrific article and tip, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Carolyn. All those trees and the birds that come with them sound lovely. Dogs and lizards usually aren't a good combination.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27