Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 5

                                                                                   Image:Marie Vonow

Following on from yesterday's tip of spending time in Nature, comes the tip for day 5, spend time gardening. If spending time in Nature makes people happy, it makes sense that time doing some gardening will contribute to happiness. As well, when you are gardening you are getting exercise which increases happiness (happiness tip day 3).

Easy to grow plants can be very colourful                                Image:Marie Vonow

When we come into contact with the soil and the soil bacterium, Mycobacterium vaccae, serotonin is released. Serotonin is sometimes called the happy chemical. Studies have shown those who get busy in the garden on a regular basis tend to be happier than those who don't do any gardening. 

I find doing a bit of gardening encourages me to live in the moment and practice mindfulness. Observing the flowers and green shoots on my plants brings me pleasure. I get enjoyment from watching the birds and butterflies that are attracted to my garden. These are little things, simple joys for which I feel gratitude.

If you don't have a garden, tending a few pots can boost your happiness. To keep costs down you could plant seeds, cuttings or seedlings in polystyrene boxes picked up free from some supermarkets or green grocers.

Herbs and veggies can be grown in containers or in the open garden           Image:Marie Vonow

Another alternative to having your own garden is to get involved in a community garden. These are sometimes run by a neighbourhood centre, church, hospital, rehabilitation centre or other community group. My local bakery is setting up a community garden in its alfresco eating area. Community gardens have an added benefit of encouraging social interaction.

Community gardens are found in towns and also the inner city                  Image:Marie Vonow

For more information on the happiness gardening can bring check out http://selfavenue.com/the-glory-of-gardening/

Comments

  1. This is a great tip again. I am an 'interested' gardener, rather than a 'keen' one. I love picking herbs from our garden, to make myself a cup of herb tea every now and then. My husband is the 'keen' gardener, the one who does most of the work and I get the benefit!
    The exercise is good for him (as it probably would be for me too, I have to admit). Being out in the garden is good, being active out in the garden is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most important thing is that you are enjoying your garden even if someone else is doing the hard yakka.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27