Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 24

                         Image:Gerd Altmann

My tip for today is don't read/watch/listen to the news too much. Research has found 'the news' can make people depressed and anxious. I think we already knew that but there can be a temptation to be constantly checking the latest news, especially in the middle of a crisis, such as this current coronavirus pandemic.

Even under non-crisis conditions we are bombarded with information about what is happening in the world around us. There is news on the radio, television, internet and in newspapers and magazines. Different sources of news have varying levels of credibility. Some sources favour sensationalism in an attempt to attract more attention. There are those that give the barest details while others choose to go into more depth and hopefully provide a more informed picture.

When there isn't much 'real news' sometimes it appears events are exaggerated to make them newsworthy. The media is keen to get a 'scoop' and may twist the available facts somewhat.

Some people recommend avoiding the news altogether, claiming this will make one happier, more creative and capable of thinking more deeply. They say the news makes one fearful and possibly aggressive. I don't think it is possible to avoid the news completely, especially in a situation such as the world currently finds itself.

Personally, I don't watch/listen/read a lot of news. I certainly don't go to sleep listening to news on the radio like one person I knew was in the habit of doing. However, I do think one needs to keep up with important events to some extent. I am tuning in to the latest on the coronavirus daily so I know the most recent recommendations for limiting its spread. How can I can keep myself and those around me as safe as possible if I have no information?

However, I am stopping myself from being totally consumed with absorbing everything available on the subject. I make sure I avoid reading the latest death toll and such just before going to bed. That information won't help me sleep well.

Whilst there is a need to keep up with certain information disseminated by the media, I believe limiting exposure to what one needs to know is likely to help one feel happier and more able to cope with life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Sometimes I Don't Want To Be Mindful