Shopping Ban Final Update

                                                                    Image:Marie Vonow

Okay, so here I am at the final day of November and the end of my self imposed six month ban on unnecessary shopping. For further information check out my blog post http://simpleselfimprovement.blogspot.com/2019/05/six-month-shopping-ban-challenge.html 
How did it go? What did I find out about my shopping habits? What are my goals for future purchases of non essential items?

I actually found I made more non essential purchases as time went by because I had come to the conclusion that making such a purchase from time to time is okay. I think each person needs to make their own decisions about how many items they want in their home and how many 'new' items they feel comfortable buying.

I still believe decluttering has benefits and I don't want clutter to pile up. From time to time I donate a few items I no longer use to an op shop.

Recently I bought a small square 'saucer', because I thought it would look nice with my coffee mug. It was 50c from an op shop and I love it. Every time I look at it or put a small snack on it I feel happy with my purchase. There were four of them and I could easily have afforded to purchase all of them but I only bought one because that is all I needed. 

                                                                      Image:Marie Vonow

My future self imposed guidelines for purchasing non essential items are to be mindful when spending money, rather than making an impulse purchase. A non essential purchase is okay if I am going to make use of the item or really enjoy looking at it. If I am unsure whether to buy something I will walk away and think about it. (If the item is in an op shop it may not be there another day but that's okay.)

I also think it is important for me to recognise when I want to buy something as a reaction to feeling sad or down in the dumps and address the reason I am feeling negative. Sometimes it's a temporary emotion which will pass so I don't need to do anything about it.

I am certainly a more mindful consumer now. Instead of just considering if I can afford something and then making the purchase if the answer is 'yes', I sometimes find an alternative. For example, I saw a bird wall hanging that would look nice in my lounge room. The autumn scene hanging there now doesn't really 'go' with the room. I didn't buy the bird wall hanging due to the shopping ban. However, I have swapped the autumn scene for the dolphin wall hanging which was in the hall way. 

I am glad I read Cait Flander's book (The Year Of Less, how I stopped shopping, gave away my belongings, and discovered life is worth more than anything you can buy in a store)
and I am glad I set myself the shopping ban. It has helped me work out my own guidelines for shopping. Buying fewer non essentials than I did prior to the ban means I will gain greater pleasure from the purchases I do decide to make. I will save a bit of money too and I think I will put this aside to spend on a day bus trip from time to time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27