Relaxing In The Garden

Blackbirds hang out in the palm   Image:Marie Vonow

Life is full of things to do, people to catch up with and appointments to attend. It seems there is always so much to do and life can be overwhelming if you don't schedule time to just breathe. I am fortunate at this point in my life I don't have to rush off to work in the morning. I am able to take some time for myself most mornings and watch the birds in my garden as I slowly drink my coffee.



I wrote this short poem about relaxing in the garden and observing the local birds.



        Birds And Nature

Friendly birds sitting in the tree

Joyfully singing songs for me,

I love to sip my coffee while I sit,

Watch them and relax for a bit.



Nature can calm my active mind

I look around, focus on what I find,

Stop and take a break from stress

Breathe deep, don’t think about life's mess.



You may already know, from personal experience, spending time in a natural environment is good for you. Research has shown even a 15 minute walk surrounded by Nature makes a person feel more positive. It's not just the exercise but being surrounded by Nature that uplifts your spirits. E.O. Wilson, an American researcher and biologist says human beings have a genetically predetermined attraction/connection to Nature.



Studies show spending time in a natural setting can have various benefits including -

  • increased level of satisfaction with life
  • improved cognitive skills
  • decreased stress
  • decreased aggression
  • reduced anxiety
  • reduced blood pressure
  • quicker recovery from illness 

    Ibis at Adelaide Botanic Gardens                                    Image:Marie Vonow

    I notice that being in a natural environment makes me feel happier and calmer. I love spending time in my garden, whether I am actually gardening or just sitting still, enjoying the plants and birds around me. I also love going for a walk by the river, strolling along the beach, wandering around the botanic gardens or watching birds at the wetlands. I feel gratitude that I have easy access to natural environments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27