Benefits Of A Holiday

 
Plenty of trees to look at and not a shop for kilometres               Image:Marie Vonow

I recently went on holiday and stayed with a cousin and her husband on Kangaroo Island. I had booked my travel arrangements early in the year and was looking forward to the catch up. Then COVID 19 hit and it looked like the trip wouldn't happen. When social distancing restrictions were eased the trip was once again possible.

I spent five days away from home and had a wonderful break from my usual routine. Occasionally I am away from home for one or two nights but for me, five nights away is quite a long break. Some people often go on holidays of this length and much longer. When I returned home I was refreshed and found myself thinking about a variety of things in a different way.

I think one of the great benefits of going on a holiday is that you break your usual routine, see different things and think some new thoughts. It is not necessary to go overseas or experience a totally different culture to have some new thoughts although that type of travel certainly does broaden the mind. Going anywhere different, even for a short time, provides a new perspective.

Some of the different things I experienced included
  • having a different daily routine
  • conversation on a wide range of topics
  • viewing topics from a different perspective
  • filling in some of the gaps in my knowledge of family history
  • learning about ways of growing pot plants and different things that can be used as containers
  • greater awareness of the need to conserve water when there is only tank and dam water available
  • the joy and comfort of a slow combustion fire 
  • enjoying television programs I never watch at home
  • experiencing a slower lifestyle
  • staying where there is no close access to shops
All these things and more have given me much to think about. I reassessed my own lifestyle and came to appreciate anew some conveniences I tend to take for granted. The holiday renewed my awareness of the joy of time spent with family members you can relate to. I had new things to talk about when I came home and different ideas to express in poetry and prose.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Handling A Phone Interview For A Job

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22