Sneaky Ways Clutter Creeps In And Shopping Ban Update 3

                                                                  Title added to design by ElisaRiva from Pixabay
There are numerous 'forces' that can attract clutter to one's home! From time to time you may find things you didn't buy or ask for have somehow made their way into your castle.

The freebie
Have you ever ordered something from a mail order catalogue and received a free item such as an alarm clock because your order was over a certain amount? You didn't order the extra item. Occasionally the freebie is something you find useful. Sometimes you may be able to give it to someone who can make use of it. However, many times you don't need it and the item languishes at the back of a cupboard adding to existing clutter.

I am getting better at putting anything like this straight into an op shop collection bin rather than holding onto it. It can be tempting to keep it, just in case it is needed one day. I probably won't need it. Let's face it, if I needed it, I would have bought one.

Buy one, get one free
There are variations on the buy one, get one free theme in the form of buy two, get one free. Something for free sounds exciting but how often do you really need it? It's quite likely more clutter. Where's the nearest op shop? There will be someone who wants it.

Advertising products
A common advertising product is the fridge magnet with the name of a service and phone number. Occasionally this includes a calendar. They seem to breed. Pens and notepads are the same.

Have you ever gone to some form of expo and walked out with the above items and perhaps a water bottle, plastic mug, tote bag or even a t-shirt or cap with advertising slogan you will never ever wear? You may have been given all of these items in a bag. Once again clutter has crept into your life.

What's happening on the shopping ban front?
It's over a month since I started my shopping ban challenge. It's a bit hard if I go somewhere with a friend and there are shops to look at. I can still look but have to be firm with myself so I don't buy 'just this one thing'. That thing might be something like a necklace or a scarf. I have to remind myself I don't need it, I already have plenty.

The opposite of buying more
By the way, I have actually parted with a few items. I had three blue necklaces but hardly ever wore two of them because the third was my favourite. When I wore the two I wasn't as keen on it was because I felt I should to justify having bought them. I actually felt a sense of relief when I donated them because now I can wear the one I love without that twinge of guilt.
It's easy to leave donations in an op- shop collection bin                      Image:Marie Vonow

I have also parted with some earrings that were fiddly to put on so hardly ever got worn. A friend gave me a lovely pair of owl earrings. That made me decide to part with two small pairs of owl earrings that I rarely wore. I will enjoy wearing the ones from my friend as they are more attractive than the others.

There was a black jacket in my wardrobe which I used to wear frequently. I had owned it for over six years. In the last two years I had only worn it a couple of times so I donated that and am happy with the decision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Sometimes I Don't Want To Be Mindful