Shopping Ban Challenge Update 1

I love browsing in this type of shop                                     Image by free Photos from Pixabay
Hi there. Well it's nearly a week since I started my personal shopping ban challenge. And I am surviving.

As I have mentioned in some of my posts, I like a bit of retail therapy. I enjoy going somewhere different and looking at the shops there. This inevitably leads to a purchase or two. I am not in debt over these unnecessary purchases so what's the harm in it?  As an associate said, it helps the economy. 

The trouble is it's rather like mindless snacking where I find myself eating, not because I am hungry but because, well because I can, or perhaps I am a bit upset or think I deserve a treat. With mindless shopping I sometimes end up buying things I don't use much or at all. 

It has become a habit to buy something when I walk into an op shop and that one is so easy to justify. The money helps those in need and the outlay won't hurt my budget. While I am on my diet, no no not diet, shopping ban challenge, but you probably see the connection, I can donate some money to charity instead of buying another item of clothing.

If I have time to fill in before an appointment I often pop into a shop 'just for a look'. Sometimes I walk out with a purchase but while on the six month shopping challenge I will have to be strong willed or do something else rather than browse. I could go to the library which is another activity that brings me pleasure. 

After going to the doctor, dentist or doing some other not-so-much-fun thing I often reward myself with a visit to an op shop http://minamaries.blogspot.com/2018/04/op-shopping-after-visiting-dentist.html or clothing store. I need to find another activity. I could catch up with a friend or find some interesting things to photograph. At the moment there are still some glorious leaves to be seen even though autumn has officially ended and we are into winter.

Beautiful leaves begging to be photographed                                  Image:Marie Vonow
I enjoy going somewhere different to look around and this often involves checking out the shops as I blogged about in this post. https://simpleselfimprovement.blogspot.com/2019/05/exploring-suburb-on-my-own.html  

On such an outing it is tempting to buy something as a memento. Ooh look at that lovely necklace, that would look nice with my black jumper. Let's not mention I already have five necklaces that look great with it. 


There must be other things to do besides looking at the shops. I could sit in a nice cafe, absorb the ambience, read a magazine or do some writing. I may even get talking to the owner of the cafe and end up writing about the cafe as happened when I discovered Bonobo Espresso when I was in Adelaide one day.

Derek decorating a coffee at Bonobo Espresso in Bank St Adelaide Image:M Vonow

On Monday I went to a shopping centre with a friend. I needed a handful of grocery items. I had time to spare before meeting up again with my friend for lunch. 

I saw some lovely place mats made of the same fabric as a tablecloth I have. Very pretty. I would probably have bought them except for the self imposed shopping ban. I certainly don't need them and I actually prefer tablecloths to place mats. Even though they were reduced in price and very affordable I didn't buy them.

Today I was in Adelaide after an appointment. I love Rundle Mall and enjoy listening to the various buskers there. The shops are interesting and I usually make a non essential purchase or two. I didn't today, no additional clutter and I saved a few dollars.

I am finding I am more aware of how often I 'just look' at things in a shop as a relaxation activity or because I have some time to spare. There are other ways I think are a better use of my time. I will be interested to see how I feel about this at the start of December when my shopping ban challenge is over.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 27