Six Month Shopping Ban Challenge


It can be tempting to buy things one doesn't need.                                  Image:Marie Vonow

I recently came across a book called The Year Of Less,

how I stopped shopping, gave away my belongings, and discovered life is worth more than anything you can buy in a store. It was written by Cait Flanders.


Image:Marie Vonow


The title of this book intrigued me. After reading it, I didn't immediately think, 'Wow. I'm going to stop shopping for a year too!' A couple of weeks passed. I started thinking about how often I buy things I don't need and, I am embarrassed to admit, by the time I get them home, sometimes don't even want. Many people shop for the sake of shopping a lot more than I do but I certainly buy stuff I don't need.



I may buy something because it's pretty, sparkly, because I've earned it, I deserve it, I need a treat or it's great value. I may buy something even though I am unsure if I will use it much. There are times I use the argument, 'Well I might use it if I buy it.'



I now have a collection of owls             Image:M Vonow
Now and then I buy something I do absolutely love and experience ongoing pleasure from the purchase. One example is a china owl I bought over 50 years ago. I think it cost 3/- (30c) and I still love it. I do not regret buying it.



Recently I bought a second hand pine chest of drawers to replace a smaller teak veneer set of drawers. It suits my bedroom better, is more useful and more attractive. No regrets.



Over the years I have curbed my tendency to stockpile magazines, cosmetics, wrapping paper, candles, linen and pretty writing paper. I buy fewer clothes, shoes and crockery items. But I have to admit to a tendency to still buy more clothes than I really need, it's just not as bad as it once was. It doesn't help that I really love op shops, as you can see from the following post. http://minamaries.blogspot.com/2018/04/op-shopping-after-visiting-dentist.html



Buying a new necklace at the op shop may not cost much but I already have plenty so why do I buy more? The same can be said about clothes. I am hoping the ban will encourage me to be creative with what I already have if I want a different look.


Therefore I have decided to challenge myself to do a six month ban on shopping, not a full twelve months, but half a year. My reason for doing this is to make myself more aware of how often I want to buy something I don't actually need. I may discover things hiding away that I had forgotten or I may improvise and become more creative. 

I hope the six month break from shopping will make me what Cait Flanders calls 'a mindful consumer'. It's not so much with the intention of saving money although I do expect to save some. 



Cait Flanders, in her book, advises anyone imposing a ban on shopping to make rules/guidelines that suit their lifestyle rather than adopting hers so that is what I have done.



My rules for the six months are -

I am not allowed to shop for

  • clothes or accessories. A comfortable pair of walking shoes suitable for orthotics are excluded from the ban as I do need them and have ordered a pair.
  • magazines unless directly related to writing
  • notebooks, exercise books. I have numerous half used books and a couple of empty books.
  • cosmetics (including no sparkly nail polish, I already have two bottles)
  • décor items
  • linen
  • electronic items
  • electrical items (I have been thinking about buying a breadmaker as I owned one a few years ago and used it a lot. I will tell you if I decide to buy this in the end or not.)
  • crockery, no I don't need any more coffee mugs no matter how cute
  • stationery (use up what I already own)
  • pretty containers
  • vases, these are a weakness of mine
  • CDs
  • hanging baskets, I have enough



Will I be able to resist the temptation of buying things from the six thrift shops in my town? What about the thrift shops in other areas and garage sales? I love markets. Is it possible for me to go to a market and limit my purchases to necessary food items? Can I look but walk away without buying?


                                                                          Image:Marie Vonow



 I am allowed to shop for -

  • groceries (most definitely yes)
  • medications
  • presents for other people
  • postage stamps
  • vegetable seeds and seedlings
  • items required for writing, when I have used up my current supply



My start date is June 1st. I plan to regularly blog about how the ban is going, my successes and challenges. It will be interesting to see if I change my spending habits in the long term. Cait Flanders says, 'I know it's possible to get to the end feeling like you've changed your spending habits and figured out what you value most in life.'


Comments

  1. How is this going so far, Marie? It's a great little challenge for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here we are at the start of November and I have bought a few things that are not essentials but I have cut down on the amount of 'stuff' I buy. I am more mindful about shopping and am much less likely to buy something on a whim. Recently I bought an extra pair of shoes suitable for orthotics but I actually need them. I have bought a couple of tops and found with the change of seasons an additional couple of items of clothing gave me more options of what to wear.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Growth, Changing my Mind, Learning, Growing as a person

Thirty One Days Of Happiness Tips Day 22

Sometimes I Don't Want To Be Mindful